Note: For face characters, all costumers should strive for a close resemblance to the character's hair shape and color, facial hair or lack thereof, as well as any body decorations the character may have, such as tattoos and piercings. For hair color, unless exact color is required by the standard, all natural hair colors are accepted.
If the character does not have tattoos, piercings etc. then the costumer should cover up/remove any tattoos, piercings etc. they may have when wearing the costume.
Luke Skywalker was a legendary war hero and Jedi who helped defeat the Galactic Empire in the Galactic Civil War and helped found the New Republic, as well as the New Jedi Order.
Born in 19 BBY as the son of the fallen Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker and the Queen and Senator of Naboo, Padmé Amidala. Luke was raised on Tatooine and hidden from Emperor Palpatine and his father, who had recently become Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith.
In 0 BBY, Skywalker’s life changed forever. A chance purchase of two droids, R2-D2 and C-3PO, led to him to receive training in the ways of the Force from Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi and to meet Han Solo, and Princess Leia Organa, who was, unbeknownst to him, his twin sister. Skywalker then destroyed the first Death Star and joined the Rebel Alliance.
1. Fitted, black long-sleeve plastron shirt w/mandarin-type collar. The bib should be lined with a slubby, linen look fabric in white or very light gray. No visible fastener if the bib is worn open.
2. Black flat front fitted pants with a zipper and fly.
3. Black Raw Silk or Raw Silk look short, kimono style vest w/scarf-style tabards and wide sash belt.
4. Black equestrian-type knee-high boots.
5. Black leather glove on right hand.
6. Luke’s accurate ROTJ lightsaber
7. Characters’ hair needs to be a “similar” style to that of Luke Skywalkers’- no buzz cuts or beards also.
1. Brown hooded cloak (wool/wool blend/wool look).
2. Black leather belt with silver weathered octagonal buckle w/small back pouch.
3. Palace guard blaster.
4. Black “tuxedo” trim on the side seams of pants.
5. Riding seam on the back of the pants.
The basic costume remains the same though out the movie. The cloak appears at the beginning but once it is discarded there it does not reappear. By the end of the movie the kimono style vest has been discarded and replaced by a black utility belt with a heavily blackened and weathered flat silver buckle.
Luke’s shirt was fitted tightly enough they had a hidden zipper under the left sleeve.
The pants had stirrups to keep them from blousing over the top of the boots.
‘Star Wars Costumes The Original Trilogy’ – pages 128 through 133
Reviewed on July 15, 2015.
PLEASE NOTE: The costume standards are a guide, yet are not an all inclusive outline of required elements. The judges will be looking for quality of workmanship, accurate execution and use of materials in addition to these general standards check lists. If you have a question about fabrics, colors, and parts choices for your build please contact the LCJs for your category about parts/materials you are considering before you start your build. (LCJ listing here)