Handmaidens were personal aides to royal personalities of the galaxy.
Perhaps the most notable of handmaidens were the handmaidens of the Monarch of Naboo. An unidentified Queen, who reigned long before the Invasion of Naboo, began the custom for Naboo monarchs to have an entourage of handmaidens to ensure their safety. During the reign of Queen Amidala, the handmaidens bore a striking resemblance to their mistress. They were highly trained in order to act as bodyguards, decoys and confidantes to the Queen, roles devised by Captain Panaka. Queens Jamillia and Kylantha were also known to employ handmaidens.
1. Wine/burgundy calf length velvet overcoat with a fitted closure in the front above waist then pulled back and pinned to expose the legs. It is recommended that the jacket have four wide box-pleats across the lower back, below the waist seam. No panne velvet. The jacket has wrist-length half-circle sleeves that are not sewn together below the arm.
2. Reddish-pink shiny silk or satin lining for velvet sleeves and coat.
3. Gold jacquard ribbon running up the coat side seams, around the shoulders of bodice, and back down the side seams. From the waist down, there are two widths of ribbon next to each other. Ribbon also runs across the coat lining at knee-height. Jacquard ribbon should have a floral or geometric pattern and is roughly 3-4 cm (1″-1.5″) wide.
4. Undershirt in salmon pink matte fabric with wrist-length fitted sleeves and small pleats/ribbing in groups of three on the shirt and sleeves. The top three pleats of the shirt should be visible at the neckline of the jacket.
5. Fitted wine/burgundy velvet or velvet-like pants with gold trim down sides. No panne velvet.
6. Matte black leather or leather-like knee-high riding style boots with no visible laces, straps, buckles, or outside zippers. When necessary, inside zippers are permitted. Boots should be flat or have a low heel (up to 1 1/2″ or 4 cm).
7. Black leather or leather-like belt. Belt is under the coat in the front and outside the coat in back. It has a rectangular silver belt buckle in the center front with a Naboo symbol detail in gold.
8. Large twice folded ponytail at back of head. No bangs. Naturally-occurring hair colors only. If a wig or hair extensions are used, they should be of high quality and appear like hair.
1. Silver short- or long-barrel Naboo blaster with a brown wood-colored handle.
2. Small black fitted holster on the right-hand side of the belt.
Padawan’s Guide Sabé Battle Dress page
Parts of Star Wars Sabé Battle Dress page
SWFFAQ Battle Dress Page
Revision by SongofAmazon (Jenna) 9 June 2016
PLEASE NOTE: The costume standards are a guide, yet are not an all inclusive outline of required elements. The judges will be looking for quality of workmanship, accurate execution and use of materials in addition to these general standards check lists. If you have a question about fabrics, colors, and parts choices for your build please contact the LCJs for your category about parts/materials you are considering before you start your build. (LCJ listing here)